The Board of Management advocates a Healthy Lunch Policy. Research has shown that a child’s behaviour and ability to learn is affected by the food s/he eats.
Here are some suggestions to help you provide a healthy lunch for your child:
- Roll or sandwich with cheese, meat or salad filling.
- Scone and butter
- Rice cakes
- Raw vegetables, cheese
- Fruit, raisins
- Milk, water. Fruit juice, diluted sugar-free drink
Children are permitted to bring one small treat to school on a Friday. A treat could be a biscuit or small piece of chocolate or one mini-bar.
The following items should not be given for lunch:
- Fizzy drinks such as Coke, Seven-Up, Fanta and drinks with high sugar content.
- Crisps and crisp-type snacks
The following foods are strictly forbidden:
- peanuts or products containing peanuts (such as peanut butter)
- Chewing gum is not allowed on the school premises!
Please check that lunch items brought to school do not contain nut-traces. As some children may have a serious intolerance to particular foods (e.g. nuts, gluten products, dairy products), please talk to your child about the danger of sharing certain foods with classmates.